World Cleanup Day - "Keep Louisiana Beautiful" Love LA Waterways - Tulane & Loyola University
September: 3 hours
Fall Semester Cumulative: 3 hours
After researching Love LA Waterways, I was saddened to learn that about eighty percent of litter and debris that ends up in Louisiana's bayous, rivers, and lakes actually originates on land. Also, because the Mississippi River flows through many U.S. states, tons of trash end up in our local waterways before eventually going into the Gulf of Mexico. Recently, I was fortunate to participate in the World Cleanup Day alongside some of my classmates, where we conducted a litter sweep of the riverfront and Carrollton and Black Pearl Neighborhoods. Before participating in this activity, I thought that my efforts wouldn't have had an impact because so much trash and debris had flooded these areas. However, my classmates and I were able to fill many bags with plastics, glassware, and various items that were all detrimental to the environment. As we were walking through the streets, I recall many families and pedestrians thanking us and greatly appreciated our efforts in this ongoing problem. Specifically, St. Charles has succumbed to so much trash that it is not only hazardous to us as a community but also to other wildlife trying to survive. If I were to participate in this activity again, I would want to help clear trash specifically from the river or bayous because it seems as though much has ended up there. I have learned that this problem will require diligent effort from myself and all individuals, whether that be from continually participating in events like these or even making the small effort to recycle our own trash on a daily basis.
Over the past month in the program, my understanding of pharmacology has evolved greatly. Originally, I thought pharmacology related solely to drug dosing strategies and their potential side effects. However, because of the invaluable mentorship and knowledge I've gained thus far from my professors, there seems to be a clear bridge between the basic sciences and clinical applications. Recently, my classmates and I finished a complex infectious disease module, where we discussed many therapeutics in various resistant microbes, and I was fascinated to learn that once-reliable drug treatments are constantly altered in order to keep up with these rapidly mutating pathogens. Although I am happy with my performance in the course so far, sometimes I find myself looking at a drug's mechanism in isolation rather than its effect on the body systems and in various case studies. I think finding connections between pharmacology and the physiology aspects will help me understand and fully grasp the concepts to an even greater extent so that I can apply them in the real world.
9/19/26

Comments
Post a Comment